For the purposes of membership, immersion programs are defined as those that
• Use a language other than English to teach subject matter content;
• Integrate language teaching with content teaching;
• Offer instruction through the immersion language for at least 50% of the school day during the pre-school and elementary years; offer a minimum of two content areas taught through the immersion language in secondary continuation programs;
• Promote additive bi- or multilingualism, i.e., enriched instruction in the immersion language sustained through the elementary years, including maintenance of English;
• Are held accountable for evaluating academic achievement in the content areas;
• Employ teachers who are highly proficient in the language(s) of instruction and clearly separate teacher use of one language versus another for sustained periods of time.